Friday, July 24, 2009

Why stories...

Stories dominate everyone's life.

In his essay The Black Swan Nassim Nicholas Taleb describes a concept called 'the narrative fallacy'. When confronted with a world full of facts, we create stories around these facts. We need stories. We even need them to remember facts and ideas. Chip and Dan Heath, respectively professor at Stanford University and a renowned consultant/researcher, explain that stories are one of the key elements to make ideas stick, as they meticulously explain in Made to Stick.

Blame it on my education in literature but during the last years the topic grabbed my attention stronger than ever before. Working as editor-in-chief for a few sports show on Belgian national television I got fascinated by the different ways journalists report a story. I started collecting information at random without having a clue where to start.

This blog is my attempt to save my thoughts, to share my ideas and to start a digital conversation with you. And digital conversations are – in my eyes – modern, frequently used forms of stories.

You're always welcome to join this conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment